08 May 2008

Ok, I'm sick

Last night I passed out on the couch (almost typed counch) after dinner while I watched a History Channel DVD on the dark ages. and well, I woke up with a sore throat. So of course, I woke up with a sore throat this morning, except it got worse. Now I have nasal congestion and a strange pressure in my ears and a very painful headache along with that sore throat. So I took a trip to Target to get $15 in cold supplies: Halls Vitamin C Defense, Chloraseptic (God, I swear), and Listerine (to kill those germs). I also bought some vitamin water with 250% vitamin c, Into the Wild (the book, for my English class), and some baby clothes for my sister because the front one has a cow with words under it that say "moo". Along with that 250% vitamin c from vitamin water, I also had a water bottle filled with 3 packets of that emergen-c and water. So I'm taking to fighting this cold similar to how America took to fighting Japan in World War 2.

I have to comment on my desire to use proper grammar on this blog. I consider this blog more formal than forums/message boards, GaySpace (sometimes) and definitely MSN/AIM, so I've been trying immensely more to capitalize my sentences and I's, as well as trying to have correct verb agreement and all that other good stuff. I'm sure I've slipped up somewhere, but that's how things go. Nobody's perfect. I've also been listening to Anne Rice's vampire novels on my car stereo, and most of the time the voices of the vampires is in an older tongue and uses more proper forms of English, so now I'm trying to place English in a more proper form. Although, I think I originally started doing this when I started taking German in High School. Learning the grammatical structure of German has helped me understand the English language more, and now I try to use more of the (what should be needed) helping verbs. Ones that are sort of "hidden" in the German language, but if you translate the German literally into English, they appear. Ok, that was a lot of explaining that didn't necessarily have to take place, but oh well, it did. I like explaining. I love languages, and learning their patterns is exciting for me. Recently I've been trying to learn Classical Latin, which is similar, yet different from English. Seems like English is an even concoction of Latin and Germanic languages. A lot of English's pronunciations seem to come from Germanic languages, even about half of our words come from the Germanic languages. But if one goes back even further, a lot of Germanic words come from Latin words, although you still have those Proto-Germanic words that do not. It's fascinating, I promise.

Like I've been proposing to myself that Russian is derivative of Greek, just by looking at the similarities in their alphabet. And it makes sense: Where did the Greek fugitives from the Roman conquering go? North? Perhaps...Ok I can be done for now, but beware, I enjoy this stuff too much :).

No comments: